Call up your squad and spread out some newspapers for a fun seafood boil meal with shrimp, corn and sausage and more that will feed a crowd.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Sausage, smoked. (cut into pieces as thick as you prefer)
- Seafood seasoning of choice
- Shrimp, large. shelled, deveined, tail-in.
- Bay leaves
- Parsley, chopped for garnishing
- Corn, fresh. (cut as thick as you prefer)
- Garlic cloves
- Baby Potatoes, cut in halves
- Lemons. some quartered for serving, others for lemon juice
Spices and condiments:
- Hot sauce (optional for lemon-butter sauce & cocktail sauce)
- Horseradish sauce (for cocktail sauce)
- Tomato sauce (for cocktail sauce)
- Worcestershire sauce (for cocktail sauce)
Beer, Wine & Liquor:
- One bottle of Beer (optional for boil)
Equipment and tools:
- Large pot for boil
- Foil, brown paper or newspaper to serve (optional)
Preparation for the Boil
- First thing, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Once the water has started to boil you can begin to add the seafood seasoning of choice, 2 bay leaves, about a cup of beer, onions and garlic. Tip: make it your own, add seasoning you prefer for the flavour want.
- Add the halved baby potatoes, corn and smoked sausage to the boil until potatoes are cooked
- Then add the Shrimp to the boil within the last minute or two. Tip: Medium-sized shrimp is usually cooked within one minute so take care not to overcook the shrimp as it will become rubbery and tasteless.
- Once the shrimp is cooked you can drain the boil and serve in a large dish, tray, foil or just on spread out newspaper or brown paper.
Preparation for the lemon-butter sauce
- Melt butter (as much as needed for the sauce)
- Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in lemon juice and hot sauce or just a mixture of spices or the seafood seasoning. Taste and add more lemon juice if needed. Cover and let it sit in warm place.
Preparation for the cocktail sauce
- Stir Tomato sauce, horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice and hot sauce (optional), in a medium bowl.
- Lemon-butter sauce can either be used as a dip or drizzled over the boil when serving
- Add quartered lemons to the boil with chopped parsley for a garnished finish