We, women and girls, have always known that we are in constant danger, just because we are women and girls. However, that fear has heightened with the increasing number of women and girls who go missing, every day, everywhere. There is truly no way that we can be safe, it’s simply not up to us. Regardless, we compiled a list of tips that might give you a tiny fighting chance.
For Your Phone
- Find my IPhone for iOS / Find My Phone Android
- Switch on SOS Setting on Android
- Stay out of your phone until you reach you destination, but also stay on your phone and actively tell someone where you’re going via phone call or voice note… *sigh*, yeah, we know how this one sounds.
- Sharing your cellphone’s IMEI number with trusted persons in case of an emergency (Dial *#06#)
- Always keep your phone location and data on, it helps locate you and send your location to a friend whenever you move around so that it helps them narrow down where you could be
- Make sure your phone is fully charged and always on when you leave the house
- Use LEFA/Dial a Cab/TaxiConnect
- Always try to tell someone your cab number or number plate if you see it. TaxiConnect makes that very easy
- Carry Pepper Spray and/or a taser
- Keep important numbers on your person at all times
- Move around in groups, if you can, and avoid travelling alone, at night, or on deserted side streets
- If you think you are being followed, find a crowded place.
- Don’t hesitate to alert police to your suspicions
- Tell at least one person where you’re off to
Here is the link to download TaxiConnect. It provides you with the driver’s details which you can share with your close friends, you pay the same price, only N$5 to be picked up from home and asks that you confirm arrival to your destination.
Take care not to blame women who may not have taken precautions, life happens and we can not be constantly aware . Besides, our safety is simply not something we have control over. Women MUST be able to live safely and not be blamed for the violence that men, mostly, perpetrate against us.Mehafo Amunyela