This four-ingredient wonder is classic comfort food at its finest. In this rendition, sharp grainy mustard cuts through the richness of gooey cheddar and buttery bread perfectly.
– Aina Braz
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 hearty slices whole-grain bread, or bread of choice, about 1/3 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard, plus more to taste
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread.
- Arrange bread, butter side down, on a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper. Spread each slice of bread with mustard. Arrange cheese over 4 slices of bread, and sandwich together with remaining bread, butter side out.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches in batches in skillet. Using a spatula, press down firmly on sandwiches. Cook until bread is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low. Turn sandwiches over, press down with spatula, and cook until bread is golden and cheese is starting to melt, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet, and place in oven. Bake until cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately.
Breakfast made easy, just for you! Tag us in your toast on any of our social media platforms!